However, it indeed is very much in beta and the following are notable:
- Apple’s guide to setup your custom domain.
- Short email addresses cannot be used. One must have at least 3 characters before the @yourdomain.com. Therefore, I cannot use [email protected] I can use [email protected]
- Sharing with family is not working now
- DMARC is not yet implemented by Apple and therefore, the emails sent may be flagged as SPAM
- Three email addresses per domain per account can be created. A family of six can have a total of 18 email addresses for one domain. In addition, one can have 5 domains per account and/or per family.
- Appears to work in Spark email if added as alias.
- Not clear if one can use the Apple SMTP server to send email from third-party clients.
As we march towards official release, I am hoping many issues are ironed out because one does not want to bring their primary domain to iCloud and experience deliverability and/or reliability issues. Personally, the minimum 3 character limit on my personal domain is ridiculous.
I will keep this page updated because I am very much interested in hosting MereCivilian emails with iCloud Mail.