It is no secret that my blogging platform of choice is Ghost.
However, each year, I seek non-subscription based alternatives. I am finding that my list of subscriptions is forever growing. Therefore, I go through exercises like this where I scrutinize and evaluate my subscription apps. Today, its Ulysses’s turn.
Spoiler Alert, I couldn’t find an alternative and as such renewed my subscription for another year. The closest alternative is iA Writer.
What Ulysses can do, that iA Writer does not?
- Drag and drop images: it has become muscle memory for me to drag images from the Photos app to Ulysses. iA Writer does not support this.
- Publish on MereCivilian Blog: iA Writer uploads the article as draft. There are no other options. Meanwhile Ulysses provides:
– Schedule post
– Post image
– Post URL
– Add Tags: retrieves all existing tags from website
– Action: open Ghost or do nothing
The following image shows what Ulysses does:
- Handling Hyperlinks: As evident by the two images below, iA Writer shows the actual links while Ulysses hides it. Visually, I prefer Ulysses in this regard as it keeps my writing clean. iA Writer, ironically feels cluttered.
I accept the above may not be deal breakers for some but each time, I switch to iA Writer, I miss these specific features. These are first world problems because, had I not used Ulysses previously, iA Writer would perfectly suit my needs.
Perhaps, next year there may be an alternative. Until then, I gladly pay for Ulysses and as such, has earned my subscription.